Alligators Are Fun From A Distance!

I almost jumped through my television a few weeks ago, when I was watching HGTV.  I love the House Hunters show and even tape it (geek).  This particular episode was fun, because it was in Florida and the people were looking at homes and condos in various neighborhoods.  Well, at the first stop the wife turns to the realtor and asks if there are any alligators in the lake, behind the house.  He replied "probably not".

WHAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!

Look, every single body of water in Florida has alligators!  EVERY ONE!  In bad storms they can even get swept out to the ocean (although the salt bothers them and they become lackadaisical in it).  But every lake, pond, stream, creek and large puddle has AT LEAST one alligator.  They fear humans and stay away, unless someone has fed them and occasionally they mistake dogs for deer and attack. 

But, they are just to be treated with respect, given distance and left alone.  They are there, but won't bother you unless you bother them.  Usually.  Or you are walking a dog.  Seriously, the rule of thumb is that alligators are in the water, and they won't bother you unless you (or your neighbors) have fed them.

So yes, new Florida resident, you do have alligators in your backyard!  But they where here first and will keep to themselves for the most part.  I mean there's one behind my house I've named Alex and he knows when my dog is outside.  Somehow.  So I just always make sure I go outside with my dog to protect him.  I know that Alex the Alligator is afraid of me and that will keep both Max and I safe.

I hope.

© John Gaudiano

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?