Is Lido Key or Siesta Key Better?!?

As often happens on the weekends, I found myself in the former residence of the only dog ever to accumulate a net worth greater than $10 million; when someone asked me why I spend so much time at the Helmsley Sandcastle.  First off, if you do not know the story of "Trouble", the richest dog in the world, you should.  It's actually a cautionary tale (pardon the pun) for family relationships and what money can do, if you're not careful.

Secondly, the Sandcastle is a fabulous resort that seems frozen in time circa 1972 on Lido Key.  The pool and bar area are the epitome of grace and elegance from an earlier time.  (But be warned, if you act in a manner that seems disrespectful to "Trouble" the employees will firmly ensure that you leave the resort and do not come back.)  My wife and I love the resort and swim in the pool on a regular basis.  This is "old Florida" at it's best.  Amazing beaches, great service and interesting travelers everywhere.  

It's true, I probably spend more time on Lido than Siesta, even though the beach sand is slightly better and the beach itself is larger at Siesta.  It's just a personal choice and you probably have to try both keys before you make up your mind.  It's not that one is better than the other, it's just that depending on your mood, you may prefer one over the other.

Plus, as a history geek and natural storyteller I love the "Trouble" legacy, but that's not to say I am not intrigued by how Capt. Roberts made his money in the Civil War and how he and his wife "Ocean" developed Siesta Key.  There are some great legends all over Florida, but if you want the history in my little corner of the world let me know.

Or swing by the Sandcastle late Sunday afternoon, you may find me in the bar, or swiming at the pool.  I'll be easy to spot, I'll be telling a bunch of tourists the "Trouble" legend and pretending it's 1972.
 
© John Gaudiano
http://johngaudiano.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?