Should I take a Boating Course, Since I just Moved to Florida?

Welcome to Paradise.

I have been on the water since I was a kid.  I actually taught sailing starting at 13, at a day camp on Cape Cod.  I have since come to my senses and only go boating with a Yamaha engine with 200HP or more.  It's just more fun and practical.  We sandbar, tube and cruise.  It's all fun.

But Florida requires a different skill set than Cape Cod.  Especially the Gulf Coast.  You need to understand the tides (sometimes only once a day), the intra-coastal channel marking system and water depth.  I took a class but, the more time spent on the water the more mistakes you can learn from.  I have gone hard aground; three miles out in the middle of Sarasota Bay.  Lesson learned.

Occasionally, you'll meet someone who is 100% self taught and they usually have some good local insights.  But, I think throughout history there has only been one untrained boater that ended up doing exceptionally well.  The rest of us need training.

 
My Profile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?