Is Florida Different From The Rest Of The US?

I grew up on the hill that Abigail Adams climbed to watch the British shell Boston.  Like every kid I ever met, I had strong opinions about General Howe and Henry Knox.  It wasn't until I moved away that I realized these opinions and concerns are not universal.

When I arrived in Florida and went to open a checking account, I thought the bank was getting robbed by men wearing polo shirts.  I'd never seen a bank before with male employees not wearing white dress shirts and ties.  They looked like a casual gang that had gotten behind the teller line.  Weird.  I mean, it is more relaxed here, but some of that has to do with the heat, while some is just simply survival.

My two year old son was born in Sarasota and already can tell the difference between red and ghost ants and knows where the gator nest closest to our house is.  Yes, it's different but, not in important ways.  Essentially, if you are reading this outside the state you just have to be prepared for more relaxed people and an environment that may require a tiny bit more vigilance to be 100% safe.

You can always follow my sons' top three pieces of advice for new arrivals (and toddlers).

1. No swimming in lakes.
2. Avoid red ants
3. A 25 years old book seller can defeat the best military force in the world with determination and drive. (Old habits die hard)

If that's too much to remember, just watch the first season of the best Florida Police show ever produced and you'll be fine.



My Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?