Should I Demolish an Old House and Build New?

Growing up by the John Adams and John Quincy Adams homes, on the South Shore of Boston Harbor, has probably made me think twice about good home maintenance.   Both Adam's houses were built in the 1700s and look better today than many places that are brand new.  I actually thought both homes were better than the one I grew up in, and my childhood home was "new" - to be fair in my neighborhood "new" could mean; built in 1925.

No matter where I grew up, I probably would have been interested in the Adam's Houses and the sacrifices they both made to establish and make America free.  As a kid, I would love history class and was always on the edge of my seat for the midnight ride of Paul Revere and his iconic shouts of "The British are coming".  Of course, as an adult I learned that Paul Revere had actually been arrested by the British and never made that ride.  But, it's still a great story.

When my commander in the Army Reserves called me to say we were had been activated, I wished it was a horse notification, however; I understand that's not terribly practical.  At least, the Army gave me a "Minute Man Pin" when I was honorably discharged.

That's something.

So back to demolishing old homes.  Sometimes it's the only thing that makes sense.  I know of a 1950 canal home on Siesta Key for sale for $500,000.  A vacant lot on this canal is worth $700,000 so, this house really needs to go.  But that's not the way it always is.  Sometimes an old house, or idea, just needs a little sprucing up to make it an awesome choice.  And sometimes, you can combine great ideas with new tools and you really get something special.
 my website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?