How Deep is the Gulf of Mexico?

Welcome to paradise.

I once went offshore in New England with my friend Michael.  He was a pretty experienced boater, the "big incident" had not happened yet and, I loved boats.  About two hours into our adventure I heard the Coast Guard calling the "Unidentified Vessel in Distress" - it was us.  The water was cold enough that 60 minutes was considered the maximum survivable exposure.  I have had better days but, have a pretty good story and somehow, Michael and I are still friends.

Then I moved to Sarasota.

I have a family now, so prefer to see land when I'm on my boat.  In fact, I have gone pretty far in the Gulf of Mexico but the water has never been more that 30 feet deep and exposure is indefinitely survivable year round.  I guess over the horizon, the gulf might be a couple of miles deep - that however, is not a concern of mine.  I will be close to shore, probably anchored at a sand bar and perhaps enjoying a Red Strip Light. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?