Do Kids Have to Wear Life Jackets on Boats in Florida?

Welcome to Paradise....

There is one thing we always want to do as a family and that is, go boating.  Our son now loves the wind in his face and going to isolated beaches or, sand bars, to swim, in fact, we all do.  However, a few weeks ago we made a big tactical swimming mistake.  We anchored in the intracoastal then crossed over an island into the Gulf for a swim.  Well, the direction of the wind ensured that the Gulf was incredibly rough so, we decided to have our son play in the surf in his life jacket.

That was smart, unfortunately, we did not plan for the ride home. 

Rocky's life jacket was soaking wet, he was uncomfortable and cold and wanted to take it off.  We debated it for a short period of time (I swear he's headed for The Levin School of Law) with the cornerstone of his argument being that he was the strongest swimmer in the family.  Luckily, I have a little thing I call experience and wisdom on my side so, I hit him with, 'It's fine with us but, "The law says everyone 12 and under in Florida has to have a lifejacket on while the boat is moving...."  Because he's planning to be an officer of the court, that reasoning was enough to quell complaints for the 30 minute ride home.  And, of course, as any litigator that has just won an unlikely argument, I checked my facts today, thinking it was possible that the law reads 'under 12' instead of '12 and under'.  I just needed to make sure my argument was airtight before he finds a law library.   

I was wrong on both counts.  Both.  The regulation in Florida is UNDER 6.  So, in other words, I only have the law on my side for another 18 months because, I want this kid to wear a life jacket until he has to shave.  Right now I'm thinking I'll say that was the law where I grew up (which is true), and only if I get caught.  So please, if you see us on the water, pretend the law here is 12 years old and while you are at it, maybe you tell anyone on your boat it's 12 and under as well, just to be safe.....


    Safety First





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?