What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?

Welcome to Paradise.

When I first came to Florida, I avoided lakes altogether.  I was freaked out about alligators, thought lakes were "buggy" and didn't own a pontoon boat :-D so, I focused on the ocean.  Fun.  But after our son was born EVERYTHING was back on the table, including lakes.

It did take a minute to figure out that you really shouldn't compare Lakes and the Ocean, for us, one cannot replace the other.  But, both can compliment one another.  We swim or dive off docks at lakes, good times, and also wakeboard and wake skate.  Our son even took the wheels off his skateboard and has ridden that around several lakes in Florida and Georgia.  Plus we like to swim in Lagoons and Slough(s) when the mood strikes (my next post will probably be explaining what a slough is).  Also, on the way to open ocean we often wakeboard or wake surf behind our boat in the inter-coastal (I will not explain what the inter-coastal is because, I have tried and by the time I get to Brownsville, Texas in the explanation I have completely lost my audience).

And then this year, something fun happened.

During the last named storm I took my son to the beach to check out surfing and we ended up having the most fun Skimming that you can imagine.  He has a skimboard built right here in Sarasota County and actually knows some very good skimmers.  Sidebar: we had a teenager living with us last summer who is a very accomplished Skimmer and introduced Rocky to the world champion at Nokomis Beach. 

(I'm suddenly realizing (six paragraphs in, that I probably need to explain what Skimboarding is; essentially riding a board from the beach out to a wave and back or doing "flat ground"-type tricks, in shallow water.) 

So I guess in the final analysis, we love both Lakes and the Ocean and cannot pick a favorite.  Sometimes it depends on weather or risk associated with the activity but, usually has more to do with what we are in the mood for that day.  Right now we are splitting our time between the two and it's been going great! 

A Skim Day at the Beach


 

 


.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?