Where Do Alligators Live?

Welcome to Paradise.

When I first moved to Florida I remember a story on the news that shocked me:  An alligator was washed by heavy rain from a creek to the beach.  The Beach!  The thought of swimming in the ocean and meeting an alligator face to face has stuck with me.  At home, we always tell our son that alligators can be anywhere, lakes, streams, the woods (we've seen them) and the beach on occasion.  But this morning on our walk we found a new location.

The Storm Drain.

Now I know it should not surprise me.  Many storm drains have standing water and it's only sensible that an alligator would be lurking.  But I guess in the middle of a neighborhood with no water in sight having a four year old inform you that you are standing over a 'gator is unsettling.  Especially when the 'gator in question is well over 6 feet.

But we knew enough to scream and run away, only returning an hour later to recreate the moment we first laid eyes on the beast. I think as historical re-enactments go, our performance is above average...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?