Is it impossible to be unhappy in florida?

Welcome to paradise.

When I lived in New England I had to travel to the mid-coast of Maine one Friday in August and I had a coworker "Charlie" go with me.  I picked him up at his apartment and as we drove through some marshes by his home with the raising sun bouncing off the water and fresh air in our faces (since I had lowered the top on my convertible), I was thinking this was 'going to be a really fun workday'.  At almost the exact same moment Charlie turned to me and announced "with the top down I'm guaranteed to get a sunburn".

Charlie was not an optimist.  But let's be honest, he lives in a place that is nearly impossible to spend quality time outside 7 months out of the year.  I can see how it would be tough to smile 365 days per year.

That's not the case in Florida.

Last weekend, our son had the worst injury of his life, and it was a scary hour for us.  When my wife realized there was a problem she called me (we were about 1,000 yards apart) and I shouted "he's hurt but conscious, there's already a team in the water trying to help him.  gotta go.."  And hung up.  

Not a great moment for our family.

Then it turned around in one day, pain meds made it possible for us to go to the theme park we were planning on, we all learned an import lesson about "deep water starts" and now understand first aid in water that's over your head.  Our son learned how to stay calm and communicate in an emergency, and developed more empathy for folks with mobility challenges.  He also saw that he can count on his family and those that surround his family.  He's safe.  All in all, probably will go down as a fun weekend with lots of laughs....



my website      

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Difference Between a Lanai and a Loggia?

Did John Ringling Build Dwarf Houses For The Little People That Worked For Him?

What's Better a Lake or the Ocean?